Friday, February 17, 2012

More time needed

Okay. So I WAS going to enter Regionals this year. I could. I would not be happy with my entries. See here are the issues. In the Almond skyr recipe, I can use wine or vinegar. Originally I was thinking of using wine but I would not be able to approximate wine from that time period with a satisfactory level of confidence. So, decided on vinegar, specifically malt. So I then started researching vinegars. Supposedly period vinegars were weaker than modern day. Yet I've found no actual evidence starting this. I have found tons of evidence for modern vinegar brewing that says each batch is a living thing and you won't know the acidity levels until it's done. That tells me it was the same then as it is now. I'm sure they used the same process of introducing a 'mother vinegar' to feed off the ale and make the resulting vinegar. So, I'm going to get some low hops, malt ale from one of the local brewers and then make my own using a commercially available unpasteurized vinegar as a mother.  This will result in a milder tasting vinegar according to various home brew websites, and I believe a less pungent "cheese." This sounds more acceptable to me.



So, Curds of almond milk - Make Malt Vinegar, Make Almond Milk

That brings us to the Kaliis, essentially milk, bread, and eggs.
Baking the Bread:

I could use commercial yeast or a sourdough starter, except all of my research indicates that didn't happen until much later. That most yeast for bread baking was acquired from the local brewers, from the barm of the ale. This was mixed with flour and water and used as leavening. So, when I acquire the ale for the vinegar, I will also be acquiring some barm. This will of course need to be experimented. I am experienced with sourdough starters and commercial yeast, but barms are way out of my comfort zone. I'll be using a bread recipe of a mix of wheat and barley flours. This would have been acceptable according to the region and still technically wheat bread without the addition of rye flour. I anticipate several tests will be needed.



Then the Sauce for Lords.

Need malt vinegar and bread crumbs. See above. The spices would be acquired from a trader. I will use Spicewells.

I could just use store bought and commercially available products. Not going to. The Almond curds will still be cooked over coals as will the kaliis. I'm thinking of doing this at Foxhunt 8, when I'll be cooking some of the dishes over fire pits and wood fires. Before that though I will make it at least once on a commercial range. 

No comments:

Post a Comment