Sunday, February 12, 2012

Foxhunt VII - Nanban Invasion

Feast Menu

Sake Sashimi - Salmon sashimi
Bluefin Tuna Giri
YakiGyoza – Pork pan dumplings
Kitsune Udon – “Fox Noodles” Noodles with deep-fried tofu and Kombu Dashi
Nabeyaki Udon – Noodles with egg, fishcake, chicken, mushrooms and Bonito-Dashi
Umeboshi glazed Beef Dango - meatballs in a pickled plum and miso sauce

Kyuri to Wakame no Sunomono – Cucumber and Seaweed salad
Asazuke Hakusai – Quick Pickled Veggies with wasabi
Kome - Rice

Sweets:
Ichigo Daifuku( Strawberry and Anko Mochi),
Yokan (Anko)
Tofudango (skewered Sweet Soy sauce dumplings)
Fresh Fruit - Melons, Asian Pears, Lychees, Oranges

Drinks:
Hot Green Tea
Ume Syrup Drink (Cold)

Lunch:
Ginger Scallion Chicken Onigiri
Sweet Bean Paste Buns

 Or

Portuguese  Feijoada (Meat and Bean Soup)
Rice and Sauteed Kale
Pasteis de Nata – Custard puff pastry pies

For this feast I was completely out of my knowledge comfort zone. I knew vague ideas of modern Japanese food from Culinary school. I've also had experience making sushi in restaurants so that made it a little easier.

My main source for this feast was The Oxford Companion to Food, wikipedia, food-timeline, and a youtube channel called "Cooking with Dog." Hilarious. Check it out. That nice little Japanese woman taught me how to fold gyoza and make udon noodles. All the sweets too. If you can call them that. They were not delicious. We did them accurately. People who enjoy mocchi treats did enjoy them. I did not. Everything else was very well received.
We rented large noodle bowls, tea pots, and smaller bowls to use as Japanese style teacups. We hot bottomless hot green tea. There were paper banners with calligraphy hanging from the rafters and tall orchids and bamboo on the tables.

In doing my research, I learned to focus on clean fresh flavors, seasonality, and presentation. The Japanese in period did not have an abundance of different foods. They subsisted on what was available, but they prepared it perfectly and made sure it was pleasing to the eye as well as the mouth. I was hesitant to agree to preparing this feast. In the end I'm glad I went through with it. It was a valuable learning experience and gave me a great new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment